How to Prepare Your Items for Long-Term Storage
Posted on: April 30, 2018 | by: admin
If you are planning on storing items for a long period of time, it is important to properly prepare them for storage. Items that are being stored for a long period of time are more susceptible to damage because they are left unattended. Keep reading this post to learn how to prepare your items for long-term storage!
The Top Tips for Using a Long-Term Storage Unit
- Use the Correct Packing Materials: When storing items for a long period of time, use new boxes. Often times when moving, people will go to their local grocery store in search of moving boxes. This is not a smart solution for long-term storage because the boxes may have traces of food or liquids inside of them.
- Use Pallet Boards to Keep Items off of the Floor: Over time, moisture can seep up from the floor and damage your items. In order to prevent this from happening, use pallet boards to keep your boxes from touching the floor. Generally speaking, grocery and hardware stores are more than happy to give away their pallet boards for free. If you are unable to find pallet boards, spread a canvas tarp on the floor to act as a barrier between your items and the floor.
- Thoroughly scrub all Appliances: If moisture gets trapped inside of your appliances while they are in storage it can result in the formation of mold or mildew. In order to ensure your items will not suffer from mold or mildew damage while in storage, scrub all your appliances and allow them to airy dry. Keep the door of the appliances cracked in order to promote air flow.
- Clean and Cover all Upholstery Furniture: Before you cover your furniture, use a vacuum cleaner to remove any crumbs, dirt or hair. Prevent dust and dirt from settling on your furniture by covering them with a sheet or furniture protecting cover.
- Label all Boxes Containing Fragile Items: If you are storing your items for a long period of time, you most likely aren’t going to visit your storage unit often. In order to prevent yourself from forgetting which boxes contain fragile items, label the outsides of each fragile box.
- Prepare all Wooden Pieces: Before applying a sealant, vacuum all pieces of furniture to remove any crumbs, dirt or pet hair. Use a furniture sealant on any exposed wood to seal it off from any moisture. Just like you covered your upholstery furniture, cover all wooden furniture pieces with a sheet.
- Check on Your Items: While storage units are secure, and you will more than likely not have a problem, it is not smart to leave your storage unit unattended for a long period of time. Check up on your storage unit periodically to make sure damage hasn’t occurred to your items while you were away.
Are You Interested in a Long-Term Storage Unit Rental with Stor-Mor?
Stor-Mor has storage facilities in Colorado Springs, CO, Fort Collins CO, Littleton, CO, Torrance, CA, Cypress, CA and Anaheim, CA, ready to meet your storage needs. Are you unsure of what size self storage unit would work for you? Our storage units come in a variety of sizes, starting with the 5×5 storage unit and ranging to the 10×20 storage unit. Contact us to rent a storage unit today!