Your Go-To Moving Day Checklist to Maintain Sanity
Posted on: March 29, 2019 | by: admin
Every day that passes is one day closer to…oh no…moving day! Sometimes, moving gets a bad reputation. While moving day can be stressful, it doesn’t have to be. With the right mindset and a little thoughtful planning, you can take moving day by charge and maybe even have a little fun along the way.
Moving Day Checklist
Need some tips on getting ready for your big move? Use this checklist as a starting point to help you plan out moving day and maximize your efforts. Just stay positive and don’t let the stress of the situation bring you down. You can do it!
Tips for the Days Leading Up to Moving Day
- Clearly mark and set aside items you will need first in the new home – This can include toilet paper, cleaning supplies, soap, hand towels, your phone charger, your toothbrush, and most definitely scissors.
- Pack special items for your kids – This can include their favorite stuffed animals, night-lights, toys and games. This will not only keep them occupied, but help them feel immediately at home.
- Don’t take what you won’t need – While it may seem easier to just pack everything and sort through it at the new home, this is a bad idea. Do not fill your new home with more clutter than necessary. It will already be hard to sift through everything box by box and bringing items you know you will not need makes it even more difficult.
- Label, label, label everything – We can’t stress this enough. Every single box should be clearly labeled with the room it belongs in. When unloading the moving truck, you can immediately move boxes into the appropriate room and greatly reduce stress when unpacking.
Moving Day Checklist
- Wake up early – Give yourself enough time before movers arrive
- Say goodbye – Don’t forget to take one or two minutes to say goodbye to your current home. Closure is good.
- Pack any last-minute items – These are probably the things you will need first in the new house, so keep them in a safe and easily identifiable location.
- Do a final sweep – Make sure you aren’t leaving anything behind. Check everywhere – especially the basement.
- Organize movers – Whether you hired help or have your family, have a quick huddle to make sure everyone is on the same page before leaving.
- Clean the new space – If possible, try to have someone helping clean the new place before your movers arrive with all your stuff. This will make it easier to start unpacking as soon as you can.
- Unpack only what you need – You might want to start unpacking everything at once, but it’s better to just unpack what you need and then tackle room by room.
Looking for Storage During Your Move?
If you’re overwhelmed by packing, consider using temporary storage to house some of your belongings. It’s a great way to streamline your move and take inventory of your possessions. Stor-Mor provides self storage facilities in Torrance, CA, Cypress, CA, Anaheim, CA, Colorado Springs, CO, Littleton, CO and Fort Collins, CO on Lincoln Avenue and Midpoint Drive. We are dedicated to providing customers with an enjoyable self storage experience that allows them to drive up, unload, and go. Reserve a 5×5, 5×10 and 10×10 storage unit today!